Base Camp: Where to Start with Vaping?
Cigalikes are e-cigarettes that are designed to mimic the look and taste of traditional cigarettes. They are designed to be roughly the same size as a normal cigarette and also usually centre their flavours around tobacco and mentholated blends (though this is by no means a solid rule). Most smokers – especially those that have been smoking for a long time – prefer to transition from tobacco cigarettes to cigalikes, as they are the most similar e-cig to smoking and they are incredibly easy and intuitive to use.
- Easy to Use – most Cigalikes allow you to start using them basically straight out of the box. For the majority of Cigalikes, you don't even have to press a button or activate them in any way – simply take a drag and the e-cigarette will activate.
- Simple Refilling – While some vape pens require complex refilling, the majority of cigalikes simply require you to attach a cartridge or refill, making the process far simpler. It also reduces incidents of spillage and provides peace of mind to those worried about curious children and pets having accidents with e-liquid.
- Unburdened by Choice – There are so many people making and selling e-liquid now it is difficult to know which brands are legit and which are not to be trusted (don't worry, we've got your back with this). With a Cigalike, you can buy refills secure in the knowledge that you are getting a legitimate product that has been through rigorous quality control procedures.
- Cigarette Inspired Design – While no-one likes to admit it, the majority of smokers secretly believe that it makes them look cool. When a smoker sees a vaper pulling out some clunky modified vaporiser (we'll get to these later), they think that it looks like an inconvenience that would be uncomfortable to use. Cigalikes avoid this problem completely, providing you with a stylish and discreet way to vape that better replicates the feeling of using a cigarette.
- Small Initial Outlay – While you might look at some fancier vaporisers and balk at their cost, Cigalikes are a more affordable entry into the world of vaping. Many smokers who are thinking about transferring to vaping choose these inexpensive starter kits as they allow you a way to try vaping without having to shell out for all of the kit beforehand. If you happen to like vaping (and we're sure you will), you can always move on to a fancier model later.
- No Surprises ‐ an e-cigarette is what it is, you don't have to worry about upgrading your coils, sub-ohm vaping or anything else that you might not fully understand. You buy the e-cigarette, you buy the refills, you keep the battery charged and you're sorted. What could be simpler?
- Lack of Choice – Even though this is an advantage of Cigalikes, it is also one of the drawbacks. While people using e-liquids get to try every flavour under the sun, most cigalikes have a set variety of cartridges available and exciting flavours are usually not available. Cigalike cartridges tend to have a few tobacco/menthol options as well as maybe one or two sweeter options. When you compare this to E-Juice (which has a brand solely dedicated to replicating your favourite cereals), it can seem a little restrictive.
- At the Whims of the Manufacturer – Imagine this scenario: you've found a Cigalike that you really ciga-love using, you've got a flavour that you're happy with, and all of a sudden, the manufacturer simply stops making refills. While it's rare for lines to completely disappear, it's by no means unheard of. This drawback doesn't exist with e-liquids – if they stop making your favourite, there's plenty more fish in the sea.
- Reduced Battery – Batteries are the lighters of the vaping world – they always seem to run out when you need them most. Due to their thin cigarette-like design, Cigalikes have worse battery life than clunkier vaping devices and they can need recharging on a more regular basis. Fortunately, replacement batteries are very affordable and their small design allows you to carry several around with you at all times. This means that if you happen to run out on one, you can simply switch to another with no hassle.
- Look Like a Cigarette – While the design of Cigalikes is ideal for people that wanted to be reminded of cigarettes, this in itself can be a problem for some people. There are concerns that Cigalikes can normalise smoking for children and make them more susceptible to trying tobacco cigarettes. Also, the design of Cigalikes can lead to confusion in areas where vaping is permitted but smoking is not, though this is usually not a problem.
- More Expensive Over Time – Though any type of vaping typically costs less than smoking traditional cigarettes, Cigalikes are more expensive over time than using a vape-pen or mod, even though they have less initial cost, and cartridges tend to provide you with less e-juice than the bottles themselves.
Cigalikes look like cigarettes, are easy to use and are quite cheap initially, however they don't have the selection available with E-liquids and have reduced battery and liquid capacity.
Find Out About the Next Step: Vape Pens >>